Updating your application
If you are currently on the Section 8 HCV Waiting List, and you need to report a change of your address, disability status or preferences, please complete the Section 8 HCV waiting list update form and mail or fax to:
MPHA Section 8 HCV Waiting List Update
1001 Washington Ave No. Suite 310
Minneapolis, MN 55404
FAX – 612-335-4427
Consistent with the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority Agency Plan, the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority will select families from the waiting list using the following established local preferences:
- Homeless or living in substandard housing such as a unit without working plumbing, electricity or unsafe conditions.
- Rent burdened by paying more than 50% of their income for rent and utilities for more than 90 days.
- Residency preference: This preference is given to applicants whose head of household or spouse:
o Lives in Minneapolis; or
o Works in or has been hired to work in Minneapolis.
- Families who have been victims of domestic abuse and are actively involved in ongoing counseling and assistance from a licensed shelter program either as a resident or participating as an outreach client.
- Families whose head or spouse is actively participating in a self-sufficiency program or other program designed to promote economic independence.
- This preference is given to an applicant who is a veteran or member of the armed services. (“Veteran” means any person honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States after serving for 181 consecutive days or more.)
- Displaced by circumstances that are no fault of their own, such as a disaster, government action, owner action (excluding eviction for nonpayment of rent), reprisal, “hate crimes,” inaccessibility of the unit, or HUD disposition of multifamily projects.
- Lease-in place preference. Families who currently live within the city limits of Minneapolis and can certify that their existing landlord is willing to continue renting to them, and will accept the rental subsidy assistance.
- Working preference. This preference is given to families with at least one adult who is employed full time.