How Do I Report Changes In My Household?
If your income or household composition changes, you must notify MPHA in writing within 10 days of the change and provide written proof of the change.
- Households will be limited to one participant-requested interim for a decrease in income between annual recertification
- Between annual recertification’s, household members who are employed will not be required to report increases in earned income
- New sources of income for any household member, increases in unearned income, and changes in household composition must be reported
If you do not report a change within the required 10 days or fail to provide the required documentation, you may owe money to MPHA. Please see the forms below for documentation requirements.
To report your changes, please use one of the following forms:
Fill out your household information and any applicable changes, and fax it along with documentation to 612-335-4427; by e-mail; drop off Monday, Tuesday, Thursday , Friday – 8:00 – 4:00 or mail to:
MPHA Section 8 HCV Administration
1001 Washington Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401-1043
Section 8 HCV will not make any income or household changes without the written request and supporting documentation. Once these have been submitted, you may be contacted to schedule an appointment.
- The change will be effective on the first of the month following a full month waiting period in order to gather necessary information and to provide 30-days’ notice
- For example, if you report a change in January, then January is your reporting month. February is your waiting month, allowing us time to gather replacement income information and provide both you and the property owner a 30 day notice of the change. The change will be effective March 1st.
- Written notice of the new rent calculation will be mailed to you and the property owner.
- It may take up to 30 days to receive the rent change notice. You must continue to pay your current rent portion until you receive the written notification of your new rent portion.
Household Composition Change
Your Family composition and the Head of Household is determined at the time of admission. The Voucher CANNOT be transferred to another family member.
The addition or removal of family members must be approved by the PHA. An add-on Family Member does not have any rights to the voucher.
When family members are absent from the unit
- A family member who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A family member who is absent for more than 90 days is considered permanently absent. A return to the family must be approved by the PHA and will require clearance through a criminal background check. An adult returning Family Member will be considered an add-on member, will not have rights to the voucher and will not increase the voucher size.
When the Head of Household is absent from the unit
- A Head of Household who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A Head of Household who is voluntarily absent from the unit for more than 90 days relinquishes the rental assistance for the entire family.
Please be aware: If there is any delay in providing completed documentation to Eligibility Technicians, this may cause a delay in the effective starting date of your change.