Portability 2017-06-16T21:41:20+00:00

You can use your voucher anywhere in the United States, but if you move to ANY unit outside of Minneapolis, you will have to “Port Out” – meaning your voucher will be transferred to another housing authority.  The map of  Public Housing Authority jurisdictions and contact information within the Twin Cities Metropolitan area is located here

A family issued a voucher for the first time must locate a unit and live within the boundaries of the City of Minneapolis for the first year the family receives Housing Choice Voucher Section 8 assistance before they are eligible for portability.  This policy does not apply to families who were Minneapolis residents at the time they applied for assistance.

Translate »