MPHA relies on timely rent payments for necessary maintenance and repairs. Please join your neighbors in paying on time. It helps us keep your building clean and safe.

If MPHA has to file an Unlawful Detainer (UD) to collect your rent, you will have to pay $332 in court costs in addition to your rent. Even if you reach a settlement at court and pay your rent, this UD will remain on your record and may limit your future housing options.

Need Help Paying Your Rent This Month?

Volunteers of America

Talk to Volunteers of America (VOA) Social Service Staff to make a plan. VOA Social Service Staff are located at each of MPHA’s high-rise buildings and at Glendale Townhomes, and they can provide case management, information, and/or referrals for MPHA residents.

  • You can also call 612-821-2189 to reach VOA Social Service Staff.

Hennepin County Emergency Assistance

Hennepin County may be able to provide short-term aid to residents in a financial emergency or crisis.

  • For households with children under 18, call 612-596-1900.
  • For households without children, call 612-596-1300.

Options for Paying Your Rent

By Mail

Send a personal check, cashier’s check, or money order (Do not mail cash) made out to “MPHA” or “Minneapolis Public Housing Authority” with the stub from your rental statement to the following address:

Minneapolis Public Housing Authority
PO Box 77034
Minneapolis, MN 55480-7734

Automatic Withdrawal

MPHA can withdraw your rent directly from your bank account. There is no fee for this service. Automatic withdrawals are made on the 5th of the month. If the 5th falls on a weekend or holiday, automatic withdrawals are made on the first business day after the 5th. Automatic withdrawals are only made for monthly rent charges.

To sign up for automatic withdrawal, fill out the Automatic Withdrawal Authorization Form and submit to the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority. You can mail the completed form to:

Minneapolis Public Housing Authority
Attention: Finance Department
1001 Washington Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401

If there are insufficient funds in your account at the time of the withdrawal, you will be removed from the automatic withdrawal service and a $15 processing fee will be charged

If you wish to cancel your automatic payments, fill out the Automatic Withdrawal Cancellation Form and return it to the address listed above (1001 Washington Ave N).

Vendor Payments

Recipients of General Assistance (GA) and Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) are eligible for vendor payment of their rent. Vendor payments for GA and MFIP are made by Hennepin County. With vendor payments, Hennepin County will send your rent directly to MPHA from your GA or MFIP grant and then issue the rest of your grant to you. Example: You receive $203 for GA and your rent is $75. Hennepin County would send $75 to MPHA to pay your rent, and then Hennepin County would send you the rest of your GA which is $128.

To sign up, call Hennepin County at 612-596-1300 and ask for a Vendor Start-Stop Request form. Bring the form to a VOA Social Service Staff or MPHA staff for help filling it out. They can submit it to Hennepin County for you.

Representative Payees

You can set up a representative payee if you want someone else to be responsible for paying your rent for you. A representative payee can be an individual (a family member or friend) that will use your money to make your rent payment for you. A representative payee can also be an agency that receives your Social Security or SSI benefits and uses that money to pay your rent for you. These agencies may provide this service for free or they may charge a fee. Representative payees receive the rent statement and make the payment directly to MPHA. Please reach out to MPHA if you have any further questions about setting up your Representative Payee.

To have your rent statement forwarded to a different address, fill out the Authorization To Change Statement Address form and return to the Rent Collections office at 1001 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis, MN 55401.

Contact Information

If you have questions about your rent, contact your property manager. MPHA’s Rent Collection staff can also assist you. If you live in South, or in a Scattered Site property, contact Yolanda Rundles. If you live in North, Northeast, or at Glendale, contact Chris Banini.

Yolanda RundlesRent Recovery Agent
Chris BaniniCollections Agent