Disabled (1 & 2 Person Households)
If you are disabled, you must provide proof of your disability (such as receiving Social Security Income or Social Security Disability Income). If you are applying as a disabled individual and are not receiving SSI Disability Income, you must provide a Request for Medical Information Form completed by your physician. This must accompany your pre-application. You must also be the Head of Household or Co-head of Household.
Completing the Pre-application Form and the Request for Medical Information Form.
The Pre-application Form should take no more than 30 minutes if you gather all of the required information ahead of time. Please be prepared to provide the following:
- A current mailing address and telephone number where you can be reached
- Names of the Head of Household/Co-Head of Household
- Social Security numbers for each applicant household member
- Dates of birth for each applicant household member (birth certificate)
- The sex (male/female) of each applicant household member
- The race and ethnicity of each applicant household member
- Whether anyone in household is handicapped or disabled
- The primary language of the head of household
- The current living situation (ie: “homeless” or “not homeless”) of the head of household
- Value of all household assets (ie: bank accounts, investments, real estate, etc.)
- Total monthly income of the household (includes all household members)
- Source of all income (wages, pensions, TANF, and other sources)
Once you have completed the pre-applicationprint it off and bring the pre-application, along with your Social Security card, picture ID, and proof of your disability to:
Minneapolis Public Housing Authority
1001 Washington Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55401
on Monday, Wednesday or Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Upon receipt of the pre-application, an Intake worker will review the pre-application and make a determination whether it is complete.
Once you submit your pre-application, you will be placed on the wait list for Low Income Public Housing. When you reach the top of the list, you will be called in to complete a full application at MPHA.
Your placement into a unit will be conditional on the approval of your full application; criminal background screening, preference points, rental housing references, and availability of units.
If your application is not deemed eligible, your application will be denied and you may contest the denial by requesting an appeal.