How Do I Report Changes In My Household?
If your income changes, you must notify MPHA within 30 days of the change by completing an income change form and providing all required documentation outlined by the request form. If you have a household composition change, you must notify MPHA in writing within 10 days of the change and provide the appropriate documentation for the composition change you wish to report.
- Households will be limited to one participant-requested interim rent portion change for a decrease in income between annual re-certifications
- New sources of income for any household member, changes in employment, and increases in unearned income must be reported within 30 days of the change
- Changes in household composition must be reported within 10 days, adding a new adult requires an appointment with your worker, adding a minor child requires vital records (Social Security Card, Passport, Birth Certificate, etc.) and documentation of custody status
If you do not report an income change within the required 30 days, report a family change within the required 10 days, or fail to provide the required documentation, your request may be denied or you may owe money to MPHA for over payment of rent assistance.
To report your changes, please use one of the following forms:
Fill out your household information and any applicable changes, and fax it along with documentation to 612-335-4427; by e-mail; drop off Monday, Tuesday, Thursday , or Friday between 8:00 am – 4:00 pm or mail to:
MPHA Section 8 HCV Administration
1001 Washington Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401-1043
Section 8 HCV will not make any income or household changes without the written request and supporting documentation. Once these have been submitted, you may be contacted to schedule an appointment.
- If you report a decrease in income and provide all supporting documentation by the 20th of the reporting month, it will be effective the 1st of the following month.
- For example, if you report a change January 17th, then January is your reporting month and February 1st is your rent change effective month.
- If the change is reported after the 20th of the reporting month the rent change will not take effect the following month and you will need to wait the 30 day waiting period. (i.e. job loss reported 1/27/2019, rent change effective 3/1/2019)
- Written notice of the new rent calculation will be mailed to you and the property owner.
- It may take up to 30 days to receive the rent change notice. You must continue to pay your current rent portion until you receive the written notification of your new rent portion.
Household Composition Change
Your Family composition and the Head of Household is determined at the time of admission. The Voucher CANNOT be transferred to another family member.
The addition or removal of family members must be approved by the PHA. An add-on Family Member does not have any rights to the voucher.
When family members are absent from the unit
- A family member who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A family member who is absent for more than 90 days is considered permanently absent. A return to the family must be approved by the PHA and will require clearance through a criminal background check. An adult returning Family Member will be considered an add-on member, will not have rights to the voucher and will not increase the voucher size.
When the Head of Household is absent from the unit
- A Head of Household who is absent from the unit for less than 90 days is considered temporarily absent – all income is still included when determining rent portions.
- A Head of Household who is voluntarily absent from the unit for more than 90 days relinquishes the rental assistance for the entire family.
Please be aware: If there is any delay in providing completed documentation to Eligibility Technicians, this may cause a delay in the effective starting date of your change.