On days when the waitlist application is open, you may apply by clicking here.
You will be leaving MPHA’s website.
Reasonable Accommodation/LEP: Applicants with a qualified disability who need assistance in completing the waitlist application or applicants needing free language assistance may click here for assistance or may notify MPHA by U.S. mail. Mail request to: MPHA, Manager of Leasing, 1001 Washington Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55401. Hearing impaired individuals needing accommodation may call TDD/TTY Minnesota Relay at 1-800-627-3529.
- Application Process: MPHA will accept applications for placement on the waitlist for the public housing family two, four, and five-bedroom units. You must submit your waitlist application online during the scheduled opening. You may only submit one application. It does not matter what time you apply during the opening period. Positions on the waitlist are first ordered by preference points, and then assigned randomly. You will receive a confirmation number confirming the submission of the waitlist application. Please be ready to write down your confirmation number.
- Information You Will Need: The online application form is in English. To complete the waitlist application you will need the name, date of birth, social security number, and income of each family member.
- Eligibility for Waitlist: Completing this application does not guarantee placement on the waitlist. If any family member owes money to MPHA, the family may go on the waitlist but must pay the outstanding balance before being housed. Each family must meet the following requirements to be placed on the waitlist:
- The Head of Household at the time you submit the application must be at least 18 years old, with the following exceptions: the Head of Household is married, an active duty member of the United States Armed Forces, or an emancipated minor by court order.
- The family must have at least two members, and qualify for a two-bedroom or larger unit. One family member must qualify as a Head of Household and one member must be a dependent. A dependent is a person who is less than 18 years old, is a disabled person, or is a full-time student. A dependent cannot be a Head of Household or foster child.
- No family member may have a conviction for manufacturing methamphetamine or be subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program.
- At the time of the initial eligibility interview, the Head of Household must provide documentation of a social security number for each family member or certify that the member does not have a social security number.
- Each family member must meet HUD requirements on citizenship or immigration status.
- The family must qualify for at least one preference. MPHA will verify each preference and ask for documentation at the initial intake interview, once your name nears the top of the waitlist.
- Status on Waitlist: Fifteen days after the opening, you can call 612-342-1553 and follow the prompts to confirm your name was placed on the waitlist. MPHA will not mail you a confirmation.
- If your name was not placed on the waitlist, MPHA will notify you in writing by U.S. mail or email, within 30 days.
- You can reapply for the program after six months if your situation changes.
- Maintaining Status on Waitlist: If you have a change of address, phone number, income, or family size, you must notify MPHA in writing within 10 business days of the change. MPHA will not take changes by phone. Each written change must include your social security number. If MPHA tries to contact you and you do not respond, or if a letter mailed to you is returned to MPHA undelivered, MPHA will remove your name from the waitlist. After your name is removed, you have a one-year period to reinstate your application by providing current information. You can get the Applicant Update Form from MPHA’s main office or the MPHA website. Mail changes to: MPHA Leasing Department, 1001 Washington Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55401
- Notification and Eligibility for Housing: Placement on the waitlist does not guarantee that you will meet the selection criteria necessary to qualify for public housing. MPHA will notify applicants when their name nears the top of the waitlist and MPHA is ready to begin the screening process. After verification of preference points, families who meet the screening criteria will be offered units when a unit becomes available (and according to their place on the waitlist).
- Non-Discrimination: MPHA will not discriminate against any applicant or tenant because of race, color creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, familial status, sex, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, marital status, disability, age, political or other affiliation. MPHA has adopted a Policy Against Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation.